DRYER TAKING TOO LONG TO DRY CLOTHES
Drying times will vary according to the type of heat used (gas vs electric), the size of the load, the type of fabric (cottons hold more water than synthetics), the wetness of the clothes, and the condition of your exhaust venting.
When clothes are taking a long time to dry or do not seem to be drying, the below troubleshooting tips can correct the problem.
- Using the proper venting and making sure the vent pipe is the proper length is very important to the operation of the dryer. GE Appliances recommends the use of solid metal vent pipe, 4″ in diameter, for adequate operation. 4″ flexible metal venting may be used, but will increase drying time somewhat. GE Appliances does not recommend the use flexible, white, plastic vent pipe. This type of vent pipe can collapse and restrict the airflow, causing lint to build up inside the dryer. This build-up could cause the heaters to fail prematurely. Consult the Installation Instructions for the proper length and number of turns for the vent pipe. Download a copy of the Owner’s Manual and/or Installation Instructions.
- Check for an obstruction in the ducting. Make sure the outside wall damper is operating easily. If flexible ducting is used, be sure that it is not kinked and is installed properly. It is recommended that you clean the duct work completely at least once a year. For more information, see Things To Check For A Dryer Venting Issue.
Cleaning and Operation
- Remove and clean the lint filter each time it is used. The filter can be washed with warm soapy water to remove fabric softener residue from the screen.
- Check the household fuses and circuit breakers. Most household dryers use two fuses or circuit breakers. It is possible for only one of them to trip and the dryer still tumble, but not heat.
- There may be too many items in the dryer. Only dry one washer load at a time. Do not combine washer loads to make one large dryer load. There may be too few items in the dryer. If the machine is not leveled a small load may migrate to the back. If drying only one article and the dryer is level, add two similar articles, even if they are dry, to ensure proper tumbling. If less than 5 items are to be dried, timed dry should be used.
- Improper sorting can cause drying difficulty. Do not mix heavy, hard-to-dry items with lightweight articles.
- On sensor dry models it is important that the dryer is level to ensure clothes are tumbling properly and can make contact with the moisture sensors located in the lower front of the dryer.
- The washer controls may have been improperly set. If the clothes are wetter than normal, coming from the washer, this could be the difficulty. If the gentle speed is selected for a normal load the washer will not spin adequately. High speed or extended spin removes more water from clothing decreasing drying time.
- There could be a washer service issue. If water can be wrung or squeezed from the clothing when it is taken from the washer and the appropriate setting was selected, the situation may be a loose washer drive belt or the transmission. Service is recommended.
- If the dryer is on a 120-volt circuit instead of a 240-volt circuit the drying time will be three times as long. For more information, see Dryer Electrical Requirements And Breaker Size.
Note: To minimize the possibility of electric shock, unplug the dryer from the power supply before attempting any maintenance or cleaning.
If the above suggestions do not resolve the issue, service may be needed.
For quick and reliable appliance repairs call Appliance Masters or Book an appointment online
Simple and Hassle-Free Repair
At Appliance Masters, we understand the inconvenience of having to deal with a broken down appliance, and that’s why we strive to provide as simple and as hassle-free a service as possible. Our technicians travel in vehicles that carry 99% of all the common replacement parts from all the major brands for all the different appliances, because we want to get your appliance back up and running on our first visit (most Cases.)Rely on us at Appliance Masters for efficient, reliable, affordable appliance repair services. Request an Appliance Repair Appointment today.
Service Call Request
We service the following areas:
Apache Junction Arizona | Chandler Arizona | Gilbert Arizona | Mesa Arizona | Queen Creek Arizona | Scottsdale Arizona | Tempe Arizona | And More…
Frigidaire Appliances | GE Appliances | Kenmore Appliances | Kitchenaid Appliances | LG Appliances | Maytag Appliances | Samsung Appliances | Whirlpool Appliances
Affordable Appliance Repair | Clothes Dryer Repair | Dishwasher Repair | Dryer Repair | Freezer Repair | Fridge Repair | Home Appliance Repair | Ice Maker Repair | Refrigerator Repair | Same Day Appliance Repair | Washer & Dryer Repair | Washer Repair | Washing Machine Repair